The only times you should see sparks are if you are watching fireworks or have a campfire burning. If you see sparks in or around your home, it is time to call in the electricians, pronto. Sparks mean that the electrical wiring is shorting out and the risk of fire is great. Take the children and your important documents and stay out of the house until the electrician has arrived to deal with it. Don’t even think about pouring or spraying water on the area. Water conducts electricity and you are likely to get a bad shock from it. Purists might claim that pure water does not conduct electricity; it is the ions in it that do. Since it is rare for tap water to be pure, the result is the same. Water and electricity do not mix.